Do you go to sleep each night to a drip, drip, drip sound and wake each morning to the same noise? Though a dripping faucet is annoying, the larger issue is the gallons of water that unnecessarily drain each day (up to 10,000 gallons a year!) causing your water bill to rise. If a leaky faucet is not repaired, it will eventually require replacement costing you hundreds of dollars. So what is the source of this common plumbing problem? What causes a leaky faucet?
- O-ring issues: A loose or damaged O-ring (a small rubber ring located around the valve stem) can cause leakage from around the faucet handle and/or spout. Call your plumber for a simple O-ring replacement.
- Corroded valve seat: The valve seat connects the faucet and the spout and, when corroded, causes leakage. Your plumber can replace a damaged valve seat.
- Washers (loose or damaged): Washer issues, caused by the friction of repeated use, are one of the most common causes of a leaky faucet. Improper installation and/or the use of the wrong size washer can also cause leaking.
- Worn-out seals: Inlet and outlet seals can become corroded by the accumulation of water sediments causing a faucet to leak.
- Water pressure: Pressure that’s too high causes water to back up in your system and leak from your taps. To avoid damage to your pipes and an increase in your utility bill, have a plumber inspect your system and deal with the issue.
- Loose parts: A faucet has many small parts. If water is escaping near the base of your faucet the adjusting ring and packing nuts may need tightening and/or replacing. Your plumber can identify loose or worn parts and address the problem.
Don’t ignore a leaky faucet! It’s more than an annoyance. If left to leak, you run the risk of developing other plumbing problems, damage to your property and a large repair bill. Your plumber will know how to address that irritating drip, drip, drip before it becomes serious.
Have a leaky faucet? Experiencing plumbing problems? Call Calgary-based Plumbing Paramedics. Our plumbing technicians are friendly, informative and accommodating. Plumbing Paramedics hires only those we would trust in our own homes! Our certified plumbers can handle any plumbing task or problem!