While most hot water tanks will admirably serve an individual or a couple, things start to get less certain as a family grows. And perhaps we shouldn’t be annoyed when our tanks fail to provide enough hot water for the dishwasher, the laundry, and the kids’ nightly bath, but we are. After all, when your hot water tank is no longer meeting your needs, you can either change your habits or replace your tank — but with what?
If your hot water tank is old (over 10 years is considered old) and it was meeting your needs until recently, you may want to simply buy a new tank. However, many Calgarians with families may want to consider tankless water heaters as a viable alternative. Unlike traditional water tanks which keep gallons of hot water heated at all times — regardless of whether you need it — tankless heaters provide hot water on demand. The tankless heater is built to recognize when hot water is demanded, and it instantly heats the water as it flows through the heater and along the pipe to where it’s needed.
Why Should You Go Tankless?
- Unlimited hot water. Tankless heaters can produce hot water at a rate of 2-5 gallons per minute. That’s plenty of water for the laundry, dish washer, and bath. Never again will you have a cold shower because your teens hogged all the hot water.
- Efficiency. Tankless water heaters are more expensive than tanks, but they often pay for themselves in energy savings. Your hot water tank keeps water hot 24/7 — even though no one needs 50 gallons of hot water at 3 AM. Tankless heaters only heat water when it’s needed. Homeowners can often save up to 24% on their utility bill. Depending on where you are in Canada, you may also be able to get a rebate from your provincial government.
- Lifespan. Tankless water heaters aren’t just more efficient than tanks, they’re also much more durable. On average, a gas-powered tankless water heat will last around 20 years — double the lifespan of a tank.
- Safe from Floods. Too many Calgarians go away for a weekend and come home to a flooded basement when their hot water tank malfunctions. Tankless heaters don’t have tanks, so you simply don’t have to worry about ever coming home to 50 gallons of water in your basement.
- Wall Mounted. Many Calgarians are choosing smaller homes. Tankless water heaters are the obvious companion to small living. They’re wall mounted, so they don’t take any floor space.
- Child Safe. New tankless water heaters are smart devices that allow you to adjust the water temperature with a mobile app. That means, you’re two clicks and swipe from ensuring your child never gets scalded. And, since there’s no risk of bacteria growth, you can set a tankless heater to a lower maximum temperature, preventing burns.
Why You May Want a New Tank.
Tankless water heaters are great. They’re better for the environment, they’re safer for kids, and they never run out of hot water. But that doesn’t mean every Calgarians is going to want to go tankless. Here’s why you may just want to replace your old tank with a newer one.
- Cost. Traditional hot water tanks are way cheaper. A decent hot water tank is around $500; tankless models are generally over $1200. It’s an investment that’s worth it for most homeowners. You’ll save up to 24% on your monthly bills, and the tankless heater will last twice as long, but that’s still a lot of money.
Is the old water tank not meeting your needs? You’ll need the help of a friendly Calgary plumber to remove your old tank and install your new heater. If you have any questions about tankless water heaters or you need help deciding whether to choose a tankless heater or a traditional tank, our experienced Calgary plumbers can help! Give us a call today!
Call us at (403) 452-2911 or Book Now an appointment.